Friday, November 18, 2016

Retired Police Utica, New York 1967-1988

 The memories of that era of my life are a constant source of joy for me.
I'm often reminded when I travel through the City of incidents that took place at any given location.
I also marvel some times at the changes that have occurred, empty lot's where buildings use to be, homes torn down and new buildings erected.
One regret I have is not having taken more pictures.

Who was to know we would wind up here today with an internet and a place to share them all. Oh well.
I remember also when I was still on the job and would meet "old-time officers" and how I would think to myself, "Wow, I'll never be that old. Funny how now I'm the old-time guy.
The technology that is available today, for instance, is amazing to me. Computers in the prowl cars and cell phones in the pockets of the Officers. Tasers, body cams, GPS trackers, and a multitude of other tools.
A little story, at one time when we were collective as the PBA trying to get cars with air conditioning we heard back from a Deputy Chief that he was against air conditioning because then we would be driving around with the windows up and would not be able to hear someone calling for help.
Hard to believe, but a true story never the less.
I can remember walking foot patrol from the station to Oneida Square and back with nothing to communicate with but a call box key to a box with a direct line to the fire department where you would ask to be switched to the police station. But that was 50 years ago now. Time gone but not forgotten. We had bulletproof vests the last couple of years and we did get handheld radios and new semi-auto handguns and mace, but that was pretty much it.
I wonder what kind of equipment the next generation of Police will have and how much it will change operations and procedures for the men and women working the streets to keep law and order.
I often pray for the safety of present-day officers and hope that they will always be given the ability and training/equipment to effectively do their jobs. That the criminals they encounter will not be able to resist or overcome efforts to take them into custody. May the best leaders and the best training/equipment always be available to keep our Police safe. Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Commendations

This is something I've always hid away on a shelf till just here resently. I took photos of them and am posting them on my site after...